Environment And Energy Manager JOB ANNOUNCEMENT.
Duty station: Kampala
Duration of the advertisement: from 23rd November to 4th December, 2020
Duration of the assignment: 12 months.
Joint Energy and Environment Projects (JEEP) is an indigenous registered Non-Governmental Organization in line with the requirements of the NGO Act 2016, located in Kyanja off Gayaza Road, 7 Miles from Kampala city center in Uganda.
The Organization was founded in 1983 and it has been working directly with local community groups, individuals, institutions and other organizations to stop environmental destruction and promote efficient management of natural resources as its fundamental mission and a core vision for having a Ugandan society with a ‘’safe environment for a sure future’’.
JEEP has created environmental awareness at all levels of societies; influencing policies and integrating environmental considerations in all aspects of social, economic and cultural development through ensuring that households use energy efficient technologies, agro-forestry and sustainable agriculture; foster and bring concrete impacts in terms of food and fuel - wood security, improved nutrition, increased incomes and raised standards of living.
Joint Energy and Environment Projects (JEEP) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post Environment and Energy manager with comprehensive understanding of : Climate change and environment conservation issues and trends in Uganda; renewable energy including solar and clean cooking energy alternatives; familiar with refugee settlements and refugee hosting communities. .
KEY RESULT AREAS
The key task of the Environment and Energy Manager will be to support the organization with the implementation of all Energy related programming and projects as follows:
• Prepare concept notes and fundable project proposals for the establishment of renewable energy projects, small scale renewable energy related businesses and promote uptake of renewable energies.
• Establish collaborative linkages with the private sector (solar and stove companies) and OPM, UNHCR, District Local Governments, NGOs, humanitarian and development stakeholders from all over Uganda and abroad for setting partnerships for scaling up the uptake of energy products.
• Plan and facilitate training on building and use of energy saving alternatives in households and institutions; develop operational and maintenance manuals and conduct orientation on their use; plan and support end-customer financing schemes.
• Initiate and oversee implementation of awareness and marketing campaigns regarding efficient utilization of energy in households, institutions etc.
• Participate in the development of project action plans, budgets and in regular monitoring visits; prepare and present quarterly implementation reports in JEEP Board meetings and other JEEP meetings.
• Provide technical advice to administrative procedures within JEEP such as: tenders, contracts with third parties, site visits, project monitoring.
• Participate and represent JEEP in meetings with implementing partners, etc
• Collecting data and information regarding energy use and management in households and institutions, in different settlement settings; prepare and submit reports and papers for publication in JEEP and other publications.
• Perform other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Master‘s degree in a relevant area such as: Natural resource, renewable energy, electrical engineering, environmental management, business or social administration or other related fields.
• At least five years’ work experience, with a national or international NGO.
• Proven technical knowledge in climate change, environment and renewable energy
• Gender sensitive planning, implementation; along with working with women and children in humanitarian setting a plus
• Should be computer literacy with knowledge in Word, Excel and power Point.
• Comprehensive understanding of the solar and clean cooking energy sector.
• Experience with market-based energy access approaches in the solar and or cook stove sector, and end-customer financing schemes
• Competence in training and training material development.
• Experience in collaborative planning and implementation, an added advantage.
• Proven experience in data and information collection and report writing.
• Familiarity with work in refugee settlements, and refugee hosting communities an added advantage.
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, ADDITIONAL COMPETENCIES
• Excellent organizational and administrative skills
• Interpersonal and communication skills, with excellent networking skills.
• Highly motivated to work in a multicultural and inter-disciplinary team.
• Working with tight timelines.
• Excellent knowledge of English, both spoken and written, and local languages
• Computer literate in: Words; Excel; and Power point
OTHER IMPORTANT CONSIDERATIONS
Applicants between 28 – 45 years of age TIMELINE Contract length is up to December 2021 with possibility of extension based on job performance.
JEEP offers a salary package (salary, insurance, and NSSF) in accordance to experience and JEEP HR Manual.
Work Hours: 8