Mercy Corps has been present in Uganda since 2006, focusing its interventions on economic and agricultural development, maternal child health and nutrition, governance, conflict management and humanitarian response. With funding from USAID, DFID, ECHO, Sweden Government, Swiss Development Cooperation private foundations including Master Card and Nike. Mercy Corps has been able to work together with communities in Uganda to respond to the needs of our target population, which is focused on youth and more specifically adolescent girls. In 2017, Mercy Corps had an impact on almost 1 million beneficiaries in Uganda through our work focusing on building resilience and enabling economic growth, improving opportunities to attain better health and nutrition, and improving governance and conflict management. All Mercy Corps interventions in Uganda are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
General Position Summary
The IT Officer – Karamoja is a critical position for Mercy Corps Uganda, S/he shall work closely with all field staffs and directly report to Operations Manager Moroto. The IT Officer will be primarily responsible for the overall guidance of the IT functionalities in Karamoja region. And he/she shall be responsible for consistent functionality of all networks, internet, servers, data backup systems, IT assets, power related issues in all field offices in Karamoja. .
Essential Job Functions
• Providing overall guidance on IT technical support in Karamoja region. This includes procurement of IT assets, designs and configurations of new IT systems for example CISCO Meraki.
• Being contact person between internet ISPs/any other technical needs from any other organization for example NetHope, CISCO and Mercy Corps Uganda, Karamoja region.
• Orient staff on appropriate use of IT systems and equipment.
• Conduct staff training on the computer basics and the use of MS Office applications. Assist on maintaining or updates application needs for programs and operational staffs, while also supporting the roll out of new application within MC Uganda.
• Monitor the use of IT systems to ensure adherence to IT policies. Use CISCO Meraki to enforce the above policies.
• Ensure that all MC systems are free from pirated software and only licensed are install and used at all times.
• Ensure data backup and archives are made and stored as scheduled. Review and maintain efficient and effective data backup procedures to enable the provision of successful and accurate backups so that any data can be restored quickly and efficiently.
• Diagnose and repair software problems, bugs and assist project staffs with technical problems and help to resolve those problems and prevent future issues where possible.
• Ensure anti-viruses are updated periodically on all systems.
• Installing and configuring computer hardware operating systems and applications as required
• Troubleshoot systems and network problems and diagnosing and solving hardware or software faults as well as replacing parts as required.
• From time to time perform electrical safety checks for the offices to ensure that all electrical equipment’s are safe from electrical hazards and that power is sufficient to run systems.
• Undertake repair and maintenance of Local Area Networks (LANs), internet systems and general IT maintenance including training of MC field office staffs as per needs outlined by the field offices.
• Maintain physical inventory of all IT related items including servers, MODEMs, laptops, desktops, printers, photocopiers. Guide the country management on the status of items and all anticipated field needs.
• Maintain proper documentation of all IT equipment including; system profiles, IT warranties, stock, maintain and organize IT related document filling system.
• Maintain an efficient Local Area Network for all Mercy Corps field offices. Not to change Mercy Corps designated configuration without a written approval from Operations Manager or Operations Director.
• IT Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
• Any other duties assigned by Operations Manager Moroto
Mercy Corps Partners (Karamoja)
• Providing IT technical support to all Mercy Corps Karamoja partners (Apolou partners), which include Riamiriam, KAPDA, NARWOA, Save the Children, Whave Solutions.
• Conduct staff training on the computer basics and the use of MS Office applications.
• Installing and configuring computer hardware operating systems and applications as required for all partners.
• Any other duties assigned by Operations Manager Moroto.
• As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
• Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, business computing and/or related are. A post-graduate qualification is an added advantage
• A minimum of 3 (three) years in providing ICT support to a reputable organization, preferably an INGO.
• Ability to plan, deploy and maintain internet systems is a MUST. He/she should be able to troubleshoot and maintain both wireless and cable connections.
• Experience in configuration and running of data backups in field settings.
• Must have experience in drafting, implementing and follow relevant IT policies such as internet, phone usage, data backup and email policies
• Experience in both hardware & software required in setting local area network (LAN), experience in setup of outlook and any other email client’s.
• Extensive knowledge of internet, proxy, pop email, TCP IP settings and windows application.
• Experience in Linux is preferred
• Experience of LAN and electrical cabling is an added advantage.
• Fluent spoken and written English
Job Education Requirements: bachelor’s degree
Job Experience Requirements: 3 (three) years
Work Hours: 8