Consultant to Conduct Upper Mpologoma Sub-Catchment Climate Change Baseline, Vulnerability and Capacity Needs Assessment in Namutumba, Tororo and Butaleja Districts – Uganda.
Location : Eastern Region, Uganda
Deadline : 19 April 2021
Contract Duration : One (1) Month
It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes, a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
Furthermore; climate change denotes a significant threat to WASH progress attained in recent years and poses a major challenge in meeting the targets under SDG 6 along with others including SDGs 3 (health), 4 (education) and 5 (gender).
WaterAid Uganda is looking for a Climate Change Consultant to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere by 2030.
Objectives of the Assignment:
The main objective of this assignment is to conduct a climate change baseline study, vulnerability and capacity needs assessment in the Eastern Region (Tororo, Namutumba and Butaleja districts) to support the implementation of the Support to Resilient Initiatives for Vulnerable Entities (STRIVE Project). .
The specific objectives are to.
• Carryout a baseline study of the current project status that will support and guide the project implementation process and evaluation of the project expected results.
• Carryout a vulnerability and capacity needs assessment of the stakeholders within the project area.
• Develop an adaptive capacity response plan that will inform and provide focus on the project implementation.
Job Skills : Not Specified
To be successful, you’ll need the following:
• This study shall require results to be published therefore Universities and Research Institutions are highly encouraged to apply.
• Degree in science and/or management of natural resources and the environment/rural development or in a related field; A master’s degree/ or Ph.D. is an added advantage.
• More than ten years of experience in Natural Resources Management and climate change.
• At least two previous studies conducted on project baselines and/or climate change vulnerability assessments.
• Evidence of conducting capacity needs assessments for a national or regional project.
• Experience in result-driven approaches with specific knowledge of environmental aspects and climate change.
• Experience in project management and monitoring (adaptation and/or mitigation would be an asset).
• An understanding of gender inequality, institutional and policy environment around water security, climate change resilience, WASH and gender equality in the region.
• At least 5 years of experience in conducting and implementing capacity assessments and development initiatives /experience in facilitating training/meetings/event on confidence building and advocacy in areas of gender equality and women-girls’ empowerment.
• Proven work experience in gender equality and the field of climate change, WASH and Natural Resource Management is an advantage.
• Good knowledge of the procedures of donors such as the Adaptation Fund, GCF, World Bank, GEF, IFAD etc.
• Excellent analytical and writing skills and very good organizational and task management skills, demonstrated teamwork skills
• Good writing capacity in English data analysis and interpretation.
• Good team player, good command of IT and use of mobile phone data collection apps for the
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree