The Deutsche Gesellschaftfiir lnternationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a public-beneﬁt company with worldwide operations in the ﬁeld of international cooperation tor sustainable development within the context of bilateral cooperation between the governments of Uganda and Germany. GIZ is working at several locations with the Country Office being located in Nakasero, Kampala.
GIZ is looking for a Senior Accountant lo support its programme.
Job title: Senior Accountant
Reports to: Head of Accounts
Job Location: Kampala
Ref. No: GIZ-CO/SA/04218
Contract duration: 30th June 2023 with the possibility of extension.
We encourage women, people with disabilities and minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective at the working place. .
The accountant provides support in;
• Dealing with all questions arising in this area
• Identifying relevant problems and issues and assisting in formulating implementation-oriented solutions.
• Further developing instruments and assisting in introducing innovation and change.
• Managing knowledge by disseminating and documenting know-how, experience and information.
The Senior accountant performs the following tasks:
• Journal entries (bookings) of vouchers in WINPACCS accounting software daily for the assigned projects.
• Producing monthly end of period reports before set deadlines.
• Ensuring that vouchers booked in journals conform to P+R standards and requirements e.g. use of proper original vouchers, proper cost category allocations and proper assignment of accounts i.e costs and receivables. "The bookkeeper must therefore post according to the schedule of accounts. The wishes of the officer responsible for the commission are irrelevant" (Internal Control guide 2018 p.g 48).
• Checking whether submitted vouchers comply with laws, regulations and Generally Accepted Accounting Standards and inform the head of department immediately on suspected diversion for further action.
• Review of vouchers to confirm compliance with internal controls to avoid possible cases of fraud and collusion.
• Giving monthly feedback to projects on the quality of vouchers submitted and supporting them to improve on their quality of work.
• Monitoring of unsettled items (receivables and liabilities) in their respective journals and project numbers (apart from those arising from contracts) on a monthly basis and giving support in following up of the unsettled items.
• Properly filing and archiving of booked vouchers according to P+R requirements and in compliance with the local laws
• Specifically, the Accountant is responsible for bookings for projects journals assigned by the supervisor.
• Verification of payment requests and accountabilities from partners (Local Subsidies). With a high degree of prudence, the accountant,
• Is responsible for checking for conformance to P+R standards i.e.
a. Checks for adherence to internal control procedures.
b. Check for proof of delivery of goods and provision of services as per procurement requirements.
c. Checks for proper authorisations and segregation of duties.
d. Performs arithmetical checks e. Confirming that all documents submitted are in original and the required regulations have been met in case copies are submitted.
• Checks for compliance with contractual obligations.
• Checks for compliance with local laws and regulations e.g. deduction and submission of taxes to the relevant authorities.
• Checks for compliance with generally accepted accounting principles.
• Give support to other staff and partners regarding accountability requirements were necessary.
• Follows up with projects on long overdue receivables and liabilities arising from local subsidy contracts on a quarterly basis.
Other duties/additional tasks
• Standing in for other accountants while they are away.
• Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Required qualifications, competences and experience Qualifications
• Bachelor's in business administration, Accounting, Commerce, Economics or related area
• Professional certifications (ACCA, CPA, etc) is an added advantage
• Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in this area with reputable organisations.
Other knowledge, additional competences
• Basic knowledge of accounting software.
• Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
• Good knowledge of English language.
• Ability to work with minimum supervision.
• Ability to work under pressure/tight deadlines.
• Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree