NURI (Northern Uganda Resilience Initiative) is one of eight development engagements under the Denmark-Uganda Country Programme 2018 – 2022.
The Country Programme aims to contribute to poverty reduction through inclusive and sustainable economic growth, promoting democracy, good governance and human rights and support Uganda’s stabilising role in the region.
The Country Program is divided into two Thematic Objectives; UPSIDE (Uganda Programme for Sustainable and Inclusive Development of the Economy) and UPGRADE (Uganda Programme for Governance, Rights, Accountability and Democracy).
NURI is one of three Development Engagements under UPSIDE and contributes to the objective of sustainable and inclusive economic growth.
The total Danish contribution to NURI for the period 2018- 2022 is DKK 285 million over the five-year period 2018-2022, with one output area starting in 2018, and two output areas starting in 2019. DKK 35 million of the budget frame derives from the Danish Climate Change Envelope (CCE).
NURI covers 13 districts; Arua, Madi-Okollo, Terego, Nebbi, Zombo, Pakwach, Koboko, Moyo, Obongi, Adjumani in West Nile region and Kitgum, Lamwo and Agago in Acholi sub-region. The programme targets the National Farmer Groups and Refugees in the districts of implementation.
Responsible for technical quality assurance and due diligence of all Rural Infrastructure and Water Resource Management activities under NURI programme.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide quality assurance on construction of all RI & WRM projects under the NURI programme.
• Conduct technical assessments and monitor the quality and quantity of materials used for projects.
• Ensure high standard of technical screening of projects jointly with District Technical Planning Committees (DTPC)
• Quality assure training of contractors and masons hired to implement NURI activities
• Prepare reports for CF including monthly highlights, quarterly and annual report
• Assess the activities undertaken for efficient use of resources (value for money).
• Advise on right structures to address infrastructure bottlenecks
• Ensure regular communication between communities at the project implementation sites and DRC
• Liaise with the district engineering team, DRC/NURI engineer and DRC/NURI water engineer to assess the quality of infrastructure projects
• Provide quality assurance on training of Project Management Committees (PMC) and
• Project User Committees (PUCs) together with district technical team.
• Social mobilization of communities for maintenance of completed projects.
• Follow up implementation of recommendations from reviews and studies of RI and WRM activities.
• Participate in District monitoring, project reviews and evaluations.
COMPTENCY AND SKILLS REQUIREMENT
• A Bachelor degree in engineering
• 15 years of post-graduate relevant work experience
• Experience from 3 projects as Engineer.
• Relevant experience with agricultural related rural infrastructure;
• Experience with donor funded projects and International Non-Governmental Organizations
• Relevant work experience from Northern Uganda
• Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work with limited supervision.
• Proficiency in English, Knowledge of one or more of the local languages spoken in the programme implementation area, preferably Alur, Lugbara, Luo and Madi.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 180
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree