UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
The New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
The Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners' programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
UNOPS has signed an agreement with the United Nations Regional Service Center in Entebbe (RSCE).
RSCE is a shared service centre based in Entebbe, Uganda. It consolidates administrative and support functions previously located in various field missions in a less volatile, more family friendly regional location, with the goal of providing efficient, client-orientated and scalable services while reducing the missions’ footprints to UN field missions across Africa.
RSCE requires the Civil Engineering support to oversee all the ongoing and future construction and maintenance activities for RSCE buildings within the United Nations Entebbe Support Base (UNESB).
The incumbent of this position will be personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
The Associate Civil Engineer will report to the Deputy Chief RSCE at the Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) and will oversee/provide technical assistance for ongoing and future construction and maintenance activities at United Nations Entebbe Support Base (UNESB).
• Responsible for day to day coordination with the contractor according to the needs and requirements onsite.
• Provides support and guidance to the contractor and assists in resolving site problems, as necessary in the coordination with the designated Project Manager.
• Assists to implement and maintain an efficient maintenance service for all the dwellings at RSCE.
• Attends the project site daily in order to monitor progress of works, identifies the existing problems and provides appropriate technical solutions through application of sound engineering standards in consultation with the designated Project Manager.
• Checks, verifies and recommends approvals to the designated Project Manager on all variation orders/Claims submitted by the contactor during the implementation phase as per UNOPS procurement rules and ensure all technical inputs and cost estimates are accurate, timely provided and included in the project proposals and budgets.
• Inspects and reports on Contractor’s works in progress, ensuring that the Contractor meets the high-quality standards expected by UNOPS.
• Checks, verifies and approves the interim payments submitted by the Contractor/s and submits detailed reports to the designated Project manager.
• Checks Contractor’s set out and works, including compliance with Contract Specifications and ensures that contractor comply with his work plans to complete work within specified timeframe.
• Ensures UNOPS Health, Safety, Social and Environmental management systems are implemented on site.
• Closely monitors the progress of works and prepares reports which include details of work done, difficulties and delays in the work, their causes, the proposed remedial measures and financial status of the works contracts; Develops inspection and test plans and updates them regularly with the contractor.
• Performs other duties as may be required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
• High school diploma is required.
• A University degree preferably in engineering and/or architecture or other relevant field is considered a plus and may substitute for some of the required number of years of experience.
• Postgraduate studies (specialization, master's degrees) in areas related to construction will be valued.
Minimum six (6) years of relevant experience (depending on the level of education /training provided) in construction projects.
Desirable (The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply):
• Experience in using AutoCad is highly desirable.
• PRINCE 2 Certification is desirable.
• Experience in drafting proposal, reports and planning documents.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Good IT understanding is desirable.
• Fluency in English (write, read, speak) is required.
• Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an asset.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 72
Level of Education: High School