Job Title: Clinical Officer / In-charge Hope Clinic Rwentobo, Ntungamo District
Reports to: Medical Superintendent COU Kisiizi Hospital
Employment Type: Full time
Location: Rwentobo, Ntungamo, Uganda
Organization: Hope Community Clinic (Health Centre III)
Role: 1] Management:
• The Clinical Officer is responsible for the overall coordination of health activities and supervision of staff and managing the Hope Clinic which functions as a 24-hour Health Centre Three with general out-patient clinics, ante-natal and post-natal clinics, family planning services and in-patient facilities.
• The Clinical Officer will closely work with support from C.O.U Kisiizi Hospital management ensuring the delivery of high quality services and effective management of the clinic.
• He/she will be responsible for the day to day management of the work force, inventory and finances of the clinic and will conduct appraisals of staff and provide full accountability for funds and resources.
• Responsible for ensuring routine health facility data is accurate, consistent and timely submitted to the people responsible. Reporting to Kisiizi of any safeguarding issues that arise.
• He/she will liaise with the Kisiizi Community Health Insurance team to co-ordinate provision of quality services to members of the Scheme.
• He/she will participate and give reports to the Hope Clinic Management Team which will meet periodically in Rwentobo and comprises representatives of World Shine and COU Kisiizi Hospital together with community representation.
• He/she will liaise with the District Health Officer of Ntungamo District and his team.
• Plan and manage staff leave and plans to ensure adequate coverage
• Set performance objectives for personnel staffs and monitor their performance
• Hold monthly meetings with staffs and share minutes with the supervisor
• Handle disciplinary issues for the staffs in the clinic with the support from the human Resource Coordinator.
Reporting and coordination
• Ensure all patients records are properly documented in the patient files with all aspects of management being captured
• Ensure weekly reports are compiled and submitted on time
• Take lead in quality improvement at the facility
• Ensure accurate inventory records are maintained at the facility
• 2] Clinical: He/she is expected to perform general and specialised clinical duties such as
• diagnosis and treatment of diseases and trauma cases,
• ordering and interpreting medical tests,
• performing routine medical and surgical procedures,
• deliver medical treatment and care to the Patients,
• participate in continual professional development activities
• conduct health education for patients and the community
• participate in appropriate research activities
• ensure full documentation is professionally recorded in medical notes and on the Stre@mline clinical IT system
• be available to support emergency care of patients at any time when on duty including out-of-hours
• you will refer appropriately to Kisiizi or to other higher level health institutions e.g. Mbarara RRH those cases where the Hope Clinic has inadequate facilities to properly care for the patient
Key result areas:
• Ensure smooth running of the health unit, providing supervision, support and guidance of all staffs working in the clinic
• Ensure quality of care is maintained in management of patients
• Ensure that universal precautions and infection prevention guide lines are followed
• Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Community Health
• Registered fully and up to date with the Allied Health Professionals Council
• 2 years working experience
• Strong leadership skills and integrity
• Experience in management of health staffs in health facilities is an added advantage
• Certificate in good clinical research practice is an added advantage
Required competencies and general expectations
• Good clinical skills; history taking, physical examinations, ordering, appropriate laboratory investigations and make appropriate diagnosis.
• Proven leadership, integrity, communication, interpersonal skills and decision making
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Computer literacy, MS Word, Excel and Power Point
• Ability to work and deliver results
• Demonstrated ability to work as a team player
• Accountable for your practice. You are answerable for your actions and omissions
• Be a role model for others
• Know the limits of your professional competence. Only undertake the duties for which you have been trained and competent to carry out.
• Use every moment of your shift for the benefit of patients
• Follow Hospital protocols
• Careful use of resources. Not to waste hospital resources.
• Reporting incidents
• Safe keeping of clinical records
• Respect of the patients in your area of work
• Demonstrates loyalty to the institution values and Mission.
ORIENTATION AND ROTATION
At present the Hope Clinic is run by COU Kisiizi Hospital. This will be formally reviewed by World Shine, COU Kisiizi Hospital and Tonbridge Baptist Church in England who support the project in May 2022 to decide whether the current arrangements continue or are adjusted to a new management structure.
Meanwhile Kisiizi may organise for the appointed Clinical Officer to have a period of orientation and training upgrade in Kisiizi before being assigned to the Hope Clinic. In addition Kisiizi may periodically rotate the Clinical Officer with other clinical officers in Kisiizi to ensure staff keep up to date and benefit from extra professional development opportunities.
Kisiizi usually sends a support supervision visit to the Hope Clinic at least once a month. The clinic utilises the same Stre@mline IT system used in Kisiizi and developed by Kisiizi. Clinical advice is available by phone or email from specialists and management members in Kisiizi.
ALTERING THE JOB DESCRIPTION
This job description is intended as a general guide to your duties but cannot cover everything you, may be required to do. As situations change you may discuss with the Medical Superintendent possible adjustments.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
This post is subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service as set by the Board of Governors of COU Kisiizi Hospital that are available on request.
The Clinical Officer will be accommodated nearby to ensure prompt attendance of sick patients and the clinic will cover the costs of the rent.
An allowance for the leadership responsibilities is added to the salary that is identical to that paid in Kisiizi.
It is a requirement that Staff will confirm their acceptance and agreement with the Safeguarding Policies of Kisiizi Hospital available on www.kisiizihospital.org.ug and Kisiizi code of conduct guidelines.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Associate Degree