View all 93 Jobs
Job vacancy Country Manager
View all 93 Jobs
We seek a highly trained and qualified professional to join our Uganda team as the Country Manager. The Country Manager is responsible for development and execution of the organization's annual goals and operations, managing the local team and contractors, as well as coordinating, facilitating, and overseeing all aspects of the team’s work plan, budget, expenses and scheduled activities.
The ideal candidate has proven experience leading a team, community development, and a background working with solar and water pumping systems. From a technical capacity, the Country Manager must possess the skills and professional expertise to assist our local team of engineers to design, implement, and monitor the installation and construction of iA’s solar water pumping systems and solar electrification projects ensuring strict compliance with iA’s community-based sustainability model and the technical requirements of our community-owned projects.
Furthermore, the Country Manager will support all project and field activities, including identifying and selecting project beneficiaries, actively engaging with the communities to facilitate community engagement and sensitization, establishing and maintaining regular communication with the communities we serve, implementing project-related activities, and monitoring the progress of ongoing projects and the condition of older ones. This position requires frequent travel to the field to identify new projects, as well as manage and oversee that all stages of iA’s solar and water projects are properly supervised and implemented.
As an international organization, our team works in New York, Israel, and Africa, and is constantly on the move. To maintain close contact despite our travel schedules, we regularly use technology solutions, such as Slack and Zoom. The ideal candidate thrives in this type of fast-paced environment and is comfortable working with colleagues in different time zones and continents.
● Strategic Planning and Project Management. Collaborate in the development and execution of the organization's annual work plan. This includes searching for and selecting prospective projects, overseeing project installation, conducting monitoring and evaluation activities, and ensuring the maintenance of existing projects.
● Team Leadership. Manage iA's local team, composed of community field officers as well as water, civil, and electrical engineers. This involves creating and implementing weekly work plans for effective project implementation and supervision, enforcing reporting requirements, and supporting staff development.
● Community Outreach. Identify new communities that require access to clean water, in alignment with predefined criteria and annual objectives. Develop plans and timelines to achieve these goals.
● Contractor Management. Partner with the Senior Engineer to maintain a diverse pool of contractors for tasks such as hydrological surveying, drilling, pump testing, water quality analysis, and other construction and installation activities related to solar electrification and water pumping projects. Ensure contractors adhere to iA's timelines and standards.
● Ensuring On-Site Supervision. Collaborate with the Senior Engineer to ensure routine supervision of works on-site conducted by iA contractors, ensuring strict compliance with project timelines and quality standards.
Ensuring Community Sustainability. Oversee and manage the implementation of iA's community-based sustainability model. This includes organizing frequent community meetings with beneficiary communities, conducting community trainings and awareness programs.
● Implementing Monitoring and Evaluation. Work closely with our community and technical teams to continuously monitor and evaluate the water and solar systems, as well as the communities where we operate, and maintain ongoing follow- up of our systems to ensure project sustainability.
● Ensuring Effective Maintenance of Projects. Engage with local and international teams to address technical issues associated with existing projects. Provide sustainable solutions for any problems that arise, ensuring ongoing project maintenance.
● Managing Stakeholder Relationships. Develop and maintain relationships with local government officials and local partner NGOs. Foster partnerships with district authorities in accordance with organizational procedures and best practices.
● Donor Trip Coordination. Fully coordinate and participate in visits from the international team, donors, and guests, ensuring their engagement aligns with the organization's objectives.
● Reporting and Communication. Provide international senior management with comprehensive weekly activity reports, regular financial updates, and daily field reports.
● Budget and Expenses. In coordination with the local Accountant, provide a monthly budget based on the team’s field and operational activities. Ensure that all team members are properly sharing and documenting any office expenses to be reported on a monthly basis.
● Office Management. Oversee the office space, ensuring it is well-maintained, safe, and conducive to work. Implement safety protocols and emergency procedures, ensuring compliance with health and safety regulations to maintain a secure work environment.
● Operational Support. Support the ongoing management of office operations, including effective communication with suppliers, fleet management, and insurance plan administration.
The ideal candidate for this position should possess the following qualifications:
Organized and Detail-Oriented: Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail, driven by results, and a genuine passion for working with rural communities.
● NGO Experience: A minimum of 5 years of experience in the NGO sector, preferably in field- based roles, particularly involving collaboration with engineers and international teams.
● Managerial Experience: A minimum of 5 years of managerial experience, preferably in the management of WASH (Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene) activities. This should include overseeing contractors and vendors engaged in drilling, construction, water pumping system installations, and post- completion project monitoring.
● Community Engagement: A demonstrated commitment to serving vulnerable communities and proven experience in direct engagement with communities for their development, mobilization, sensitization and long-term sustainability.
● Leadership Skills: A passionate and effective team leader who is able to determine strategies, set clear goals, assess and provide training needs, monitor goal progress, provide positive feedback and motivation, delegate tasks, and act as the representative of the organization to the team and all stakeholders.
● Interpersonal and Communication Skills: Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills that demonstrates the ability to listen and build strong professional relationships with all members of the team understand and apply problem-solving skills as challenges arise.
The compensation for this role will be commensurate with the candidate's experience and qualifications.
To be eligible for this position, candidates should meet the following requirements:
● Educational Background: A Bachelor's Degree, preferably in fields related to Community Development, Management, or other relevant areas. A degree in water or civil engineering will be considered an advantage.
● NGO and WASH Sector Experience: Proven experience working in the NGO and WASH sector, with a focus on water pumping systems where applicable.
Managerial Experience: Demonstrated managerial experience, preferably within the NGO and WASH sector, and the ability to manage dynamic teams with diverse technical, field, and outreach backgrounds.
● Computer Skills: Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email and Microsoft Office software.
● Flexible Availability: Comfortable working with an international team across different time zones, and the willingness to commit to flexible working hours, including weekends if necessary.
● Language Skills: Fluent in written and spoken English, with the ability to communicate effectively. Additionally, the ability to speak fluently in the local languages of the greater Mbale region is required.
● Driver's License: Possession of a valid driver's license.
Please send your cover letter and CV as a single PDF attachment through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Here' section